TDS is not necessarily BAD
- Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) indicates the aesthetic characteristics of drinking water. i.e. how it looks and how it tastes.
- High TDS is not necessarily bad and includes good minerals like Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium and Potassium.
- Removing TDS from water makes the water acidic. It is important to drink slightly alkaline water to maintain the pH balance of the blood.
- Medical research has also determined that drinking acidic water (as well as other acidic beverages) will often cause leaching of essential minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, from the body, especially from the bones and teeth, in order to neutralize the acidity. This makes us vulnerable to a host of bone and joint diseases and induces fatigue.
We know Mineral water is great but want to get rid of Minerals from water at home …. Why?
- The World Health Organization conducted a study that revealed some of the health risks associated with drinking de-mineralized water. Some of these risks include:
- gastrointestinal problems
- bone density issues
- deteriorated joint conditions
- cardiovascular disease
- Removing the naturally occurring minerals also leaves the water tasteless.
TDS about the levels up to 2000 (WHO recommends up to 600 for India) is good
- Therefore, TDS is not the actual measure of how impure or pure the water is. There are other, more dangerous, impurities in water that should demand our attention
- Different pathogens (viruses and bacteria) causing water borne diseases like Jaundice, Polio, Diarrhoea, Cholera, Typhoid, Dysentery, etc. These viruses and bacteria can be removed by Ultra-filtration/Nano-filtration membranes
- Other than pathogens, the taste and odour forming compounds (compounds such as MIB and geosmin),
Pesticides including byproducts (e.g. Atrazine), Colour, Trihalomethanes and other disinfection by-products (DBP),Algal toxins, Chlorinated hydrocarbons and other volatile organic compounds (VOC), Endocrine disrupting compounds (EDC) and other micro-pollutants, Pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCP).